How does it work
Our support takes many forms, such as campaigns to raise awareness about different funding options (financial instruments and investment platforms, in particular), strategies for designing a specific investment programme and help building up local teams’ skills. We enhance the competencies of promoters and beneficiaries, enabling them to embark on projects independently in the future.
We support projects that focus on innovation, environmental and social sustainability, climate impact and circularity.
What can we offer
Awareness raising, networking and dissemination of best practices
General or specific information disseminated via events, seminars and conferences designed to facilitate the exchange of best practices, general knowledge and sources of information, as well as the best use of EU funds.
Policy advice, planning and strategic programming support
Working with public or quasi-public entities at the national or regional level to develop specific policies or programmes to address social needs or market gaps and to define ways to tackle those issues.
Coaching, training and capacity building
General guidance, review of business strategy and change management to achieve better results, targeted coaching, capacity-building activities to enhance promoters’ ability to deliver successful and effective projects.
Who is eligible
- European Commission
- EU Member States and national/regional ministries
- Nations and ministries outside the European Union
- Managing authorities of EU Member States
- National promotional banks (particularly small ones)
- Private-sector companies (including small and medium-sized businesses)
- Partner organisations outside the European Union
- Financial intermediaries and final beneficiaries
- fi-compass is a platform on financial instruments under the European Structural and Investment Funds (ESIF) fi-compass is provided by the European Commission in partnership with the EIB.
- JASPERS focuses on large projects in cohesion regions. A project’s total cost should exceed € 50 million for environmental projects and EUR 75 million for transport or other sectors.
- Project Advisory Support Service Agreements (PASSA) boost the implementation of EU-funded projects by combining the knowledge of EIB staff and third-party consultants.
- EPEC, the European PPP Expertise Centre supports the public sector across Europe in delivering better public-private partnerships (PPPs).
Research and innovation
- InnovFin advisory support helps research and innovation projects and innovative companies secure the finance needed to reach their potential.
- URBIS is a dedicated urban investment advisory platform set up to provide advisory support to urban authorities to facilitate, accelerate and unlock urban investment projects, programmes and platforms.
- ELENA is a facility supporting local authorities in the delivery of their energy efficiency projects via a team of experts (engineers and economists) with extensive experience in the transport and energy sector.
We provide advisory services and technical assistance outside the European Union (all along the project cycle, i.e. from project preparation to project implementation) in relation to a wide range of different sectors and geographies drawing on various funding sources such as:
- ACP Investment Facility (Cotonou Agreement)
- Eastern Partnership TA Trust Fund (EPTATF)
- Facility for Euro-Mediterranean Investment & Partnership (FEMIP)
- Green Climate Fund (GCF)
- Neighbourhood Investment Platform (NIP)
- Financing Energy for Low-carbon Investment - Cities Advisory Facility (FELICITY)
We also manage technical assistance programmes outside the EU aimed at building capacity of financial intermediaries, microfinance institutions and final beneficiaries with the objective to improve financial inclusion and SME banking, targeting in particular segments that traditionally have been excluded from financial services (e.g. refugees).
Southern Neighbourhood and Western Balkans
- Economic Resilience Initiative (ERI) is an initiative set up by the European Union to finance investments stimulating private sector growth and job creation in Mediterranean partner countries. The technical assistance envelope, financed by the EIB, provides support to strengthen the capabilities of counterparts and beneficiaries.
- The Western Balkans Enterprise Development & Innovation Facility (WB-EDIF) financed by the European Union, aims at improving access to finance for small and medium-sized businesses in the Western Balkans.
- Municipal Project Support Facility (MPSF) provides technical assistance to municipalities in Eastern Partner countries.