Climate change and the unprecedented growth of cities, especially in emerging economies and developing countries, require increased investments in sustainable infrastructure projects that reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
Yet, cities face significant barriers to prepare bankable projects, secure finance and implement such projects.
To address these challenges the Financing Energy for Low-carbon Investment - Cities Advisory Facility (FELICITY) provides advisory services and capacity building tailored to the needs of municipalities and financial intermediaries in Brazil, Indonesia, China and Mexico.
What types of support do we offer
- Guidance on the technical, financial and economic feasibility of investments planned in cities, procurement procedures as well as advice on a project’s social and environmental soundness to potentially meet the EIB’s requirements for financing.
- Capacity development for municipalities to develop bankable projects and access international finance, especially for the purpose of addressing climate change.
- Facilitate knowledge exchange across countries and regions on the preparation of low-carbon infrastructure projects and conducive regulatory environments.
What is eligible
FELICITY supports the preparation of infrastructure projects in cities resulting in GHG reduction. The following urban sub-sectors are eligible under FELICITY:
- residential and public buildings
- district heating and cooling networks
- public lighting systems
- public transport and infrastructure
- waste and waste water treatment
The projects requesting support should be in line with urban development plans and not yet considered ready for financing.
The cities we support
The city plans to upscale the installation of rooftop photovoltaic systems at municipal public schools and building renovation measures to reduce energy expenditures by using the Brazilian net metering regulation.
The state development agency for this metropolitan region intends to integrate eight municipalities into one public transport system and to renew their bus fleet, in part, with zero-emission vehicles.
How to apply?
- Public or private entities preparing an urban project in Brazil, Indonesia, Mexico or China contact us via FELICITY@giz.de with a brief description of the planned investment (ca. 500 words). The description should include the following:
- type of investment,
- city’s commitment for implementation,
- project preparation stage (e.g. pre-feasibility study conducted),
- expected investment cost
- time schedule
- technical needs
- The FELICITY team will review the information and assess if the project falls within our mandate. If so, the applicant will receive an application form by the FELICITY team.
- Final approval for support under FELICITY must be provided by BMUB, GIZ and the EIB.
FELICITY is a joint initiative of the European Investment Bank (EIB) and the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ). It is funded by the International Climate Initiative (IKI) of the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU).