How does it work
We offer sector studies that allow clients to determine specific market gaps that need to be addressed, while various funding mechanisms like financial instruments (or investment/advisory platforms) can help raise money. A detailed assessment of client needs increases potential impact, whether it be for infrastructure or efforts to mitigate climate change. The process of putting together an assessment also educates project private or public promoters on potential funding strategies to use in the future.
Overall, our assistance makes the best use of EU and public funds by fostering the creation of sound financial instruments that will allow, within specific sectors or geographies, to do more investment projects with less public money (via a multiplier and a revolving effect).
We support projects that focus on innovation, environmental and social sustainability, climate impact and circularity.
What can we offer
Sector studies and market analysis
We help clients gain knowledge and expertise in relevant industries by analysing trends, competitors and market gaps and by exploring cutting edge and enabling technologies that provide a basis for innovation in a range of products across industrial sectors.
Financial instruments, investment and advisory platforms support
EIB Advisory provides support relating to the design, set-up, and implementation of financial instruments and investment or advisory platforms.
Who is eligible
- European Commission
- EU Member States and national/regional ministries
- Managing authorities of EU Member States
- National promotional banks
- Private-sector companies (including small and medium-sized businesses)
- Professional and industry networks
- Partner organisations outside the European Union
- fi-compass is a platform on financial instruments under the European Structural and Investment Funds (ESIF). fi-compass is provided by the European Commission in partnership with the EIB.
- Bilateral financial instruments support is a set of tailored services provided on the basis of specific needs that can be addressed via a financial instruments, an investment or an advisory platform.
- Project Advisory Support Service Agreements (PASSA) boost the implementation of EU-funded projects by combining the knowledge of EIB staff and third-party consultants.
- EPEC, the European PPP Expertise Centre supports the public sector across Europe in delivering better public-private partnerships (PPPs).
Research and innovation
- InnovFin advisory support helps research and innovation projects and innovative companies secure the finance needed to reach their potential.
We provide advisory services and technical assistance outside the European Union (all along the project cycle, i.e. from project preparation to project implementation) in relation to a wide range of different sectors and geographies drawing on various funding sources such as:
- ACP Investment Facility (Cotonou Agreement)
- Eastern Partnership TA Trust Fund (EPTATF)
- Facility for Euro-Mediterranean Investment & Partnership (FEMIP)
- Green Climate Fund (GCF)
- Neighbourhood Investment Platform (NIP)
- Financing Energy for Low-carbon Investment - Cities Advisory Facility (FELICITY)
We also manage technical assistance programmes outside the EU aimed at building capacity of financial intermediaries, microfinance institutions and final beneficiaries with the objective to improve financial inclusion and SME banking, targeting in particular segments that traditionally have been excluded from financial services (e.g. refugees).
Southern Neighbourhood and Western Balkans
- Economic Resilience Initiative (ERI) is an initiative set up by the European Union to finance investments stimulating private sector growth and job creation in Mediterranean partner countries. The technical assistance envelope, financed by the EIB, provides support to strengthen the capabilities of counterparts and beneficiaries.
- The Western Balkans Enterprise Development & Innovation Facility (WB-EDIF) financed by the European Union, aims at improving access to finance for small and medium-sized businesses in the Western Balkans.
- Municipal Project Support Facility (MPSF) provides technical assistance to municipalities in Eastern Partner countries