Our response to the pandemic outside the European Union
Coronavirus is affecting each and everyone of us around the world. There is only one way to tackle this pandemic: setting aside our differences and bringing together what unites us. Here is our response to the pandemic outside the EU:
- We will offer financing and assistance for healthcare and business resilience to more than 100 countries.
- We have contributed €1.7 billion to help the Western Balkans recover from the pandemic. Our contribution is part of an EU package worth €3.3 billion.
- We partner with the World Health Organization to support health care in 10 African countries and offer diagnostic tests and protective equipment for people who need help the most.
- We have joined a wide range of international players pledging urgent funding for vaccines, diagnostics and treatments.
- We expanded our partnership with UNDP to get projects off the ground in situations of emergency and fragility, where time is of the essence to save lives.
- We joined our Development Finance Institutions partners from across Europe to provide €280 million of financing for COVID-19 impacted businesses in developing countries.
- We joined a new and global coalition that will address the inequality of global energy access, spearheading a green and equitable recovery from COVID-19, which will create a more inclusive, sustainable future for all.
- We contributed €400 million to the COVAX initiative to provide one billion COVID-19 vaccine doses for low and middle income countries as part of Team Europe’s support. The COVAX Facility has now delivered life-saving vaccines to over 100 economies since making its first international delivery to Ghana in February 2021.
- The EIB alongside the European Commission and European development finance partners, launched a new platform aimed at scaling up health resilience in Africa. The new Sustainable Healthcare Industry for Resilience in Africa (SHIRA) financing platform will foster private sector investments as part of the Team Europe initiative to improve health security and resilience and boost local manufacturing of vaccines and treatments.
We work hard on the ground to ensure that our investments have a major impact. We fight deforestation and climate change. We create good jobs in rural areas and improve journey times on sustainable urban transport. We provide clean energy, clean water and sanitation. Our new projects outside the EU in the last five years (2014-2019) will result in
We improve lives worldwide
Effective solutions for today’s most pressing global challenges
Our impact beyond Europe
Individual stories speak far louder than figures and charts. Discover how our work improves lives across the world.
We emphasise areas critical to sustainable development.
In the spotlight
Meet the people behind our projects.
Our financing and advisory tools
Innovative finance and expertise for people, planet and prosperity
How our projects tackle global challenges