Building on its financial merits, the EIB is able to borrow at attractive rates, and the benefits of EIB’s borrowing conditions are passed on to project promoters.
Aside from bond issuances, the Bank contributes actively to the market’s development by:
- publishing comprehensive best-in-market reporting on its CAB and SAB issues
- having its Green Bond activities audited externally
- spurring coordination and dialogue within the Green Bond Principles to promote transparency and accountability.
- contributing to the TEG’s work with advice on the EU Taxonomy and the EU Green Bond standard
- advisory work for its clients relating to the EU Taxonomy
Read more about the EIB’s Climate Awareness Bonds and Sustainability Awarness Bonds
Environmental, social and governance (ESG) ratings can be a powerful tool for linking financial with non-financial indicators, thus helping investors to better inform their investment decisions. The EIB regularly engages with a number of ESG rating agencies on its sustainability performance, initiatives and objectives.
A number of leading non-financial rating agencies have reported EIB performance on environmental, social and governance issues to be among the best of its peer group.