Compliance is integral to the Bank’s ethical, professional and business approach.
The independent EIB Compliance function promotes the highest standards of integrity and ensures that they are applied to all of the Bank’s activities, as outlined in our integrity policy and compliance charter.
As well as combatting money laundering and the financing of terrorism, the Compliance function strongly supports a corporate culture based on ethical values and professional conduct, while it ensures efficient management and oversight of non-financial risks as comprising operational risk, information and communication technology (ΙCT) risk and overall compliance, conducts risks and reputational risks.
Areas of activity within Compliance include:
- integrity checks on operations and counterparties
- integrity of staff and governing bodies (ethics)
- ensuring that procurement selection procedures comply with internal rules
- ensuring operational and reputational risks are managed effectively
- ensuring that data protection regulation requirements are met
- management of information and communication technology risk
In accordance with the principles laid down by the Basel Committee, Compliance is an independent function under the guidance and responsibility of the EIB Group Chief Compliance Officer (GCCO). The Group Chief Compliance Officer, under the oversight of the Group Chief Risk Officer, is responsible for the Compliance function and has direct access to the President and to the Management Committee, participates in its meetings, and has access to the Audit Committee.
Compliance risk is managed at EIB Group level by:
- Office of the Group Chief Compliance Officer, in charge of European Investment Bank Compliance
- EIF Compliance (COMPL), in charge of European Investment Fund Compliance
In the spotlight
- European Investment Bank Compliance Activity Report 2020
- Processing of personal data by the Fraud Investigations Division and the Office of the Chief Compliance Officer
- Office of the Chief Compliance Officer Activity Report 2017
- Office of the Chief Compliance Officer Activity Report 2016
- Office of the Chief Compliance Officer Activity Report 2015
- EIB Office of the Chief Compliance Officer Activity Report 2014